Wednesday, July 17, 2013

So, about my new lamp...

 
This past Saturday, we (along with some of our friends) were hanging out on the back deck for a BBQ.  I had gotten up to refresh a beverage or two, and as I was walking through the kitchen, I could see out the front window that a Fed Ex delivery man was walking down our driveway.  I hadn't been expecting a package, so I headed out to the front porch to see what had arrived.
 
Much to my surprise, there was a giant box on my porch with the words "Crate & Barrel" written across it.  I pulled out the invoice thinking the box had been incorrectly delivered to me, but my name was on it.  Once I opened up the paperwork, I could see that the box contained "1 Large Finley Wheat Pendant Lamp".  I immediately recognized the item name as something that I had on my Crate & Barrel Gift Registry - one that I had been using as a "wish list" of sorts for all of the items I wanted, but was not ready to purchase.
 
As I dug deeper into the packaging, I found a card. 
 
 
How sweet!  The only problem?  I don't KNOW Kaye and Lew.  My mind started racing, and I'll admit, the first thing that crossed my mind was that some stranger was performing a random act of kindness.  (Ha)! 
 
As my investigative skills began to sharpen, I located the billing address - Texas.  I then looked online and discovered that an entirely different Jessica Ingle is getting married next year, in Texas, and this gift was obviously mistakenly purchase off of my registry instead of hers.
 
So here I am, with a beautiful lamp purchased by a stranger off of the wrong registry, with a house full of people - one of which just happens to be an electrician. He immediately volunteered to hang the lamp for us right then an there....and I mean, how could I refuse?
 

 
 
To save some time, don't worry - I did the right thing.  I mailed a very nice letter explaining the mistake that had occurred, plus a check for the amount of the lamp - and a picture of the lamp hanging in my dining room.
 
I hope she finds the situation as hilarious as we do :)


No comments:

Post a Comment