Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mad development happening right now

In the last week or so, I have noticed so many changes in Ben.  Here is a recap of his latest tricks:

Crawling(ish) - He isn't quite doing your standard "crawl" (knees and hands), but he is doing something funny where he gets up on his toes and scoots forward, and then falls, rolls, and continues on his way.  Can I call it "Frogging"?  Regardless of how graceful it isn't, Ben is starting to get himself where he wants to go.  He almost fell off our bed a few nights ago, (but didn't thanks to my cat-like reflexes), so we are now keeping a closer watch on his every move.


Verbal changes - For the longest time, the only sounds I would notice coming out of Ben's mouth were screams (happy ones), grunts, or whines/cries.  Lately, he seems to be trying to focus on what he is doing and we have heard some consonant sounds.  I will admit, both Greg and I heard what maybe could have been interpreted as "da-ddy", but because I am selfish, we are I am not confirming it as a first word until he does it again.  ;)


Getting into a seated position - Yesterday, while I was working on my computer, I looked down and saw Ben move from his tummy, to his hands and knees, and then get into a seated position.  !!!  I didn't see that coming so soon!


Pulling up to stand in his crib...all on his own - Previously, when Ben pulled up to stand in his crib, it was after I had put him in a seated position facing the rail.  So last night, at about 1 in the morning, (hours after figuring out how to get to a seated position on his own), I woke up to Ben crying a terrified cry.  Without looking at the monitor, I went into his room...and there he was - standing up, holding onto the side of his crib, (the opposite side from where I had put him down), dazed and confused as to how he wound up there.  He was SO TIRED too - and as soon as I "rescued" him, he went right back to sleep.  SO GLAD we lowered the mattress last week, (thanks for the push to do it earlier, mom)!


Comprehension of the words kitty, kiss and clap - Since Ben seems to understand things on a different level these days, I have tried to be extra vocal with him.  Whenever Maxwell walks into the room and Ben notices him, I will ask him "is that the kitty?" (repeatedly).  I will also say "kiss" when I smother him with kisses, and now when I say the word he seems to brace himself for a full-on face attack.  The last word he seems to be paying attention to is "clap", as I am trying to teach him to clap his hands (because, after all, he is happy...and we know it).



Eating - Ben is gradually starting to accept that he cannot survive on breast milk alone.  (Although, from what I am told, he essentially can until he hits a year old if that is what he wants to do).  At the encouragement of others, I have made it my mission to at least OFFER him a variety of foods - some baby purees, some random things from what we are eating - to see what he will eat, and that seems to be working.  It is hard not to "compare" your babies habits with those of babies similar in age, (some of whom dine on quinoa and tilapia, ahem - Bronson) but I KNOW that when Ben is ready, he will be all about food.  He is an Ingle, after all.  So, the latest development here is that he seems very into baby oatmeal, fruit purees, and slices of watermelon he can hold on to and nom on.  Oh, and baby mum-mums.  He loves those. 



Teeth - I think I forgot to mention on here, but Ben's second tooth popped out about 2 weeks after his first one (which came in right after his 6-month birthday).  A third tooth cut through while we were in San Diego last week, and it is starting to grow in more. I have to admit, I really loved his "2 bottom teeth look", but I suppose he will look cute with a third :)

1 comment: