Friday, August 18, 2017

Meal Planning: August 19th - 26th

Review from last week:

I think I've officially gotten to the point where I prefer a home-cooked meal vs. a restaurant.  Particularly when it comes to steak and veggies.  It's both good and badThe good news is that I generally don't mind meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking - but sometimes I really don't want to at all.

This was the last Blue Apron meal from the week before.  Freekah and chicken.  REALLY good!

 

When Brad and Charisse were over, Brad did some cooking!  On Saturday night he made Prime Ribeye steak with a red wine reduction sauce that was to DIE for.  I made zucchini and a kale salad.  

 

It was fun cooking with Brad, as he gave me exactly what I was looking for: Tips and tricks to make meals extra delicious.  He even got up on Sunday morning (after Charisse and I stayed up until 4:30 am drinking wine on the couch - like the old days when she lived with us!!) and made us biscuits and bacon gravy from scratch and some super delicious "pudding eggs".

Technique: Heat a little butter in a pan. Crack eggs into the pan over medium heat and do NOT break the yolk.  Start to whisk up the egg whites as they cook (keeping the yolks whole).  Once the egg whites are cooked and scrambled, turn off the heat and start to whisk in the yolks.  The result is some of the best scrambled eggs you've ever had (unless you have had my mother in law's scrambled eggs, in which case these would be second).
I digress.

Grilled Chicken (my new favorite thing Greg makes on the grill) with pesto-basil zucchini noodles with tomatoes and fresh mozzerella.



Lentil Tacos from the Thug Kitchen cookbook.  These were really good!  Greg didn't eat them (he had 4 caveties filled that night) so I haven't gotten him to weigh in on them yet.  I went tortilla-less, but I think these would be an excellent meat substitute in a quesadilla or a taco.  Yum.  And if you use the steamed lentils from Trader Joes, the fastest recipe to make ever.


A green salad with grilled chicken.  I mentioned on Instagram that I think I've perfected the simple green salad:

Red Leaf Lettuce chopped
Cherry tomatoes (yellow AND red to make it pretty)
Thinly sliced shallot
Cucumber or radish slices optional)

Toss all lightly in extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  

Nothing special, but really really delicious.

 
Salmon rolls:


Plan for next week:

Saturday: We have back to back birthday parties on Saturday, and the second one is a BBQ. 

Sunday: Spending the afternoon/evening in Bellingham with the Mills and eating dinner with them!  A non-cooking weekend!

Monday: TBD

Tuesday:  Out for dinner

Wednesday: Out for dinner

Thursday: Blue Apron Meal: Seared Steaks & Thyme Pan Sauce with Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans & Crispy Shallot


Friday: Blue Apron Meal: Sweet & Sour Pork Bowls with Sauteed Peppers & Miso Roasted Eggplant

Saturday: Blue Apron Meal: Fresh Rigatoni & Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto with Green Beans and Summer Squash

No comments:

Post a Comment