Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Balancing it All - A Follow Up

Earlier this year, I blogged about how different life is now that we are parents.  I am happy to say that I have been able to achieve some of the goals I had set for myself about making times for various things (read more/watch TV less, do/teach more yoga, and plan grocery shopping trips more effectively).  Some of the other plans I had for myself (ourselves), such as finding more time to spend together, alone, as a couple, and for us to each spend some time with our friends, individually, have been a bit harder to make happen.

Last week, I found myself frustrated at the amount of time I feel like I spend cleaning - straightening, organizing, doing laundry, vacuuming, etc.  I almost lost it on Greg when I saw a trail of coffee grounds sprinkled across the kitchen counter that I had JUST wiped down.  I know that my reaction (read: internal rage) to that was due to my not having the extra time I am used to to be that much of a clean freak.  I mean, it really does NOT matter that my kitchen counter top is not spotless.  Does anyone really care (other than me)? 

I guess part of taking on a new responsibility (Ben) is having to let go of some things.  I obviously would rather maintain my relationship and friendships over having an immaculate household, but still - it's hard to make that adjustment at times.  I am realizing that sometimes I will be great at balancing it all, and at other times, I will suck at it. 

This weekend I have the following on the agenda:

  • Golf outing for Greg
  • Bridal shower: Celebrating a friend AND spending time with friends
  • Haircut and color: Relaxing "me" time
  • Easter brunch at my parents
  • A movie date with Greg!  (We have not been to a movie since a few weeks before Ben was born.  We used to go at least every month or two).
  • Yoga (at home, probably)
It feels like the right "balance" of everything that makes me happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment