Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Celebrating our 2 year old

Instead of having a big birthday party this year, we decided to celebrate our 2 year old in a quieter fashion.  In all honesty, I just didn't have it in me to party-plan this year - but I also knew that by skipping one, we could splurge a little on a few special gifts.
 
I have had my eye on this rocket tent for several months just KNOWING that Ben would totally freak out if it showed up in his room one day.  I've witnessed his enthusiasm for hiding and then peaking out from behind curtains and blankets, so I knew that this would send him over the top. 
 
Over the weekend, I hung this up in his room.  He.was.so.excited.  We spent a lot of time in that tent that afternoon :)  If I ever need to get something done (make the bed, take a work call), I ask him if he wants to watch the iPad in his tent and he takes OFF running towards his room and happily plops himself down inside.  We keep lots of pillows and blankets in there, along with many of his stuffed animals.  It's so much fun.  He now says good night to his rocket tent every night and before naps.  Love it.
 

 
My parents purchased this train set for Ben, and it's been another big hit.  I need to find a table where this will actually fit well on (and at his level), but for now this is working just fine.  

 
On Sunday, the day we celebrated his birthday, we went to McDonald's for breakfast and then went to the Playdate Cafe for a couple hours. 

 
Here he is enjoying some of his other birthday gifts:  A puzzle from Grandma and Grandpa, his firetruck from Aunt Karen, and a bus Leap Frog toy from the Nikonov's.

 
That evening, Grandma joined us for presents, dinner and cake!


 
That evening, Ben promptly threw up his cake :(  It turned out just to be a nasty cold (and a sensitive gag-reflex from coughing) and a Monday full of cuddles.  

 
On his birthday, Grandpa stopped by for a visit and to bring him a duplo set!  Ben said "Grandpa" for the first (second, third, fourth and fifth) time :)  It was awesome.

 
Thank you EVERYONE who sent Happy Birthday messages, cards, gifts and love.  It thrills me just how much my little boy is loved by the people in his/our life.  There is no greater gift I could ask for than a strong and loving community for Ben to grow up in, and it means the world to me to know that he has exactly that.

No comments:

Post a Comment