Monday, September 14, 2015

The past few weeks

We have had a busy and fun past few weeks and I figured I had better get them blogged before too much time passes (and too many photos accumulate).

On Saturday August 29th, we had the craziest and unexpected (at least by me) windstorm!  At around noon, we lost power.  I was 1/2 way through curling my hair and thought, "I wonder if I stick around for a few more minutes if it the power will turn back on and I can finish"?  (BIG LOL at that thought now).  I then left the boys and drove up to Mount Vernon for a bridal shower - where I found that the winery were at also did not have power.  The wind up there was blowing so hard that we all had to move our cars in the parking lot away from a big tent they had set up because they feared that the huge metal stakes were going to be ripped out of the ground and could smash into our cars.

That afternoon I returned home to much calmer weather, but still no power.  This was the damage down the street from our house...


That evening we BBQ'd dinner, enjoyed playing in the dark (made for excellent hide-and-go-seek) and then went to bed expecting it to return during the night.

It didn't.

On Sunday we went to the mall to get coffee, charge our phones and let Ben play for awhile.  That evening we had dinner and showers at my parents house, because by then our hot water had run out).

On Monday morning Ben played in the dark while I tried to figure out how to get any work done!  

We ended up going to the Y and I worked there while Ben played.  Then we went to my parents to do laundry and use their WiFi.   

The night Kristin and Craig had us over for dinner, showers and internet so Greg could do his Fantasy Football draft!


By Tuesday morning I was about ready to kill somebody.  Never again will I take for granted having ELECTRICITY!  After I left for work and dropped Ben at school, we got a text from our neighbor that power was back ON!  My boss let me go home early that day so that I could throw the entire contents of our refrigerator and freezer away (sob), catch up on laundry and dishes, and prepare for Marcia's arrival that evening!  What a RELIEF that we got our power back when we did!  

Here she and Ben are on her first evening!


A few random pictures from Ben at school:






Since Marcia has been here, she has once again taken over the household (in the best possible way) and has made us some amazing meals.  A few of our favorites:

Pot roast:
 

Spaghetti and meatballs:


White bean and chicken chili:
 

And I have cooked a few, too:



Braised Beef Short Ribs:  God, these were good.




Last Friday, Karen and Chris arrived to spend a week with us and we have been having even MORE fun!

On Sunday, the four of us spent the afternoon in Woodinville wine tasting and we picked up a few great bottles to take home!

We visited:

Woodhouse Winery


Novelty Hill/Januk
JM Cellars - GO HERE if you haven't been yet.  It was up in the woods at the most beautiful location and the wine was great.


Brian Carter Cellars
Darby Winery

 

Matthews Winery


A few other pictures from the past couple weeks:

Ben taking it easy.  He had an ear ache for a few days this weekend but seems to have recovered on his own.


Karen and Ben playing cars:


Playing outside:


With Ben in the back seat:


A relaxing morning at home:


Purchasing mulch before spending a few days on yard projects!


Max sunbathing:


Ben proudly showed us the car display he had been working on while we were out at the wineries:


Ben and Raleigh getting crazy together:




No comments:

Post a Comment