Friday, June 29, 2012

On the importance of "living it up" before kids


In Puerto Vallarta



In Cabo


Lady Gaga!


Wine tasting in Yakima, WA


At our Engagement Party


Shots before seeing Dane Cook


It took a few years of marriage before Greg and I were ready to give up our "no kid" status.  Truth be told, we were loving life exactly the way it was.  We had total freedom to do whatever, whenever we wanted: 

Spontaneous weekend trips to wine country
Luxurious vacations in sunny destinations
Random week nights out to concerts, comedy shows, or happy hours with friends

It was a super hard decision to make as to when we really wanted to "give it all up", but one that clearly changed our lives in the most fantastic way.

But still - it makes me really appreciate all of the carefree times we did have as a twosome.  It was so awesome to be able to make decisions without first asking myself:

Who will watch Ben?
Have I planned each of his meals carefully?
Have I written out his schedule?
How tired will I be tomorrow if we go out tonight (aka will I have enough energy to chase him around the house)?

Tonight, we get to go out for dinner and drinks with friends (kid-free!!).  It is funny how things like uninterrupted conversation and getting to sit and enjoy a lingering meal at a restaurant (instead of us taking turns entertaining Ben and power-eating so that we can leave quickly) seem like the biggest treat in the world now!  I have been looking forward to this all week!

So, while these occasions are most definitely rare these days, I think that I appreciate them even more.  And having the memories to look back on definitely reminds us that life has been good to us, and makes me look forward to experiencing this next phase and what is in store for our future!

Happy Friday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Let the church say AMEN! This one:

    How tired will I be tomorrow if we go out tonight

    is the one that gets me the most and why I don't do things in the evening that often.

    I also think that's why we do the "one weekend a month at Grandma's" thing. It's easier to cram all the stuff we want to do kid-free into a weekend, than do things here and there on evenings because I get too exhausted when I spread it out like that. (But our location also kinda forces us to do it this way; it's not like we can just drop her off for a couple hours whenever we want).

    Dining out and not having to power-eat and take turns is one of my favorite things ever, too! It's bittersweet, though, because you always feel incomplete without them around. =) They've got us good! We can't win either way. ;)

    Have fun tonight!

    ReplyDelete