Friday, August 30, 2013

Meal Planning: Week of September 2nd

Just a quick review from last week:

The only meal I was particularly excited about was the chicken pot pie I made.  It was so amazing, probably in part because I never have made a pot pie before (or any kind of pie).  I didn't expect it to turn out, but it did!  Callie shared this recipe with me.  I followed some of the advice in the comments, and cooked the chicken and vegetables in chicken broth instead of water, and made extra "sauce" to keep it from being dry.  If I had known how easy pre-made crust would be to work with, I would have started making pies a long time ago!

 
On to this week!
 
Sunday: Spaghetti squash, meatballs and vodka sauce!  The meatballs are frozen and the vodka sauce is canned.  We are planning a big day of cleaning, yard work and closet organizing on Sunday.  It is Labor Day weekend after all!  Something tells me I will not be interested in doing a lot of food prep that night.
 
Monday: Sauteed Cod with Lemon Buerre Blanc sauce and roasted brussels sprouts.
 
Tuesday: Chicken Tortilla Soup (crock pot).  My friend Robin sent me this recipe a long time ago.  (I went through my email archives looking for recipes from friends today) :)
 
Ingredients:
 
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
  • 1 (15 oz) can black beans
  • 1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (12 oz) can beer  (or 1 can chicken broth)
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
  • 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning**
  • 3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts  (1lb of chicken tenders)
  • shredded Cheddar cheese
  • sour cream
  • tortilla chips
Directions:
Place the onion, kidney beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer or chicken broth, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker.  **Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend.  Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients.  Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours. Serve topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips
**Taco Seasoning:
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Wednesday: Left Overs
 
Thursday: Dinner at Jess and Becca's new house!
 
Friday: Slow-Cooker Chicken Mole.  Rachel and Peter served this last weekend at the Gender Reveal party, and I know that Greg has been dreaming about it ever since :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment