Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What it's like to be a mom



It's a little hard to put into words what I have been feeling over the past eight weeks since Ben was born. For me, becoming a mom and "mothering" was not something I ever thought I would enjoy this much. As I had previously blogged about, I was so worried about how I would transition into this new role, but the transition was seamless...and instantaneous. Ben has completely changed who I am, and I LOVE every second of being his mom. The amount of love I feel for him scares me at times, as I know that I will constantly worry about him for the rest of my life

Every single day, I wake up and it feels like Christmas morning! This kid is MINE! And Greg's! (What a fantastic thing to share with the person you love the most, huh?) When he smiles at me, which now happens all the time and without my prompting him with my own smile, I just melt. He is just unbelievably sweet and I constantly feel like my heart might explode with happiness.

So, yes, clearly the post-partum hormones have kicked into full gear. I've had a tough week as it feels like time is going by much too quickly. My newborn baby is about to be 2 months old. I only have 6 weeks left of maternity leave. I recently spent an entire day in a total funk over the rapid rate at which he seems to be growing, but I have a handle on things now. ("Now", as in right this very second...as I will likely have endless challenges with him growing up). It really is so important to enjoy every moment (as I have been reminded) and to know that the best is yet to come!

Ben, you have turned your mom into a total sap. Thanks, buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment