Friday, August 8, 2014

Meal Planning: Week of August 11th

Review from last week:

I had Friday off from work, so Ben and I had a really fun morning at the Children's Museum followed by him taking a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNG nap!  I took that time to clean and bake a peach/raspberry crisp.  Yum.



Friday night I made chicken Parmesan. 
 


I made a Blue Apron recipe we had had awhile ago, salmon roll sandwiches - and Greg liked them even more this time because I left out the celery.  We actually had this twice last week because the salmon filet I pulled from the freezer was ENORMOUS.  I had mine over cabbage instead of on a bun because, CRISP.


I also made a recipe that I had seen online for High Protein Quiona Almond Berry Salad.  Had it for lunches and a few snacks this week.




Since my Blue Apron delivery didn't arrive until 6pm on Tuesday, we had frozen pizza instead with the zoodle dish.



The beef and rice-stuffed pepper was good, but the lime crema sauce was AMAZING.  Definitely a sauce we will be making with several dishes in the future.  Yum.



Finally, we had the chicken skewers (Blue Apron) and I thought they were really good.  I'm mostly a fan of the peanut sauce they have featured on many of their dishes in the past.


We have a super busy and fun weekend and week ahead of us!  Lisa and Evan are getting married on Saturday at Lake Crescent Lodge, so we will be boarding a ferry bright and early on Saturday morning to travel there and we cannot WAIT to celebrate with them!

On Sunday we are spending the day in Seattle with Hilary and John who are in town visiting!  Wahoo!

ANDDDDD Greg and I are on vacation all next week!  Very much looking forward to having some time off all together!

This is how our week is shaping up:

Friday: Blue Apron Meal from last week - Pan-Seared Salmon with Fennel and Heirloom Potato Salad.

Saturday: Lisa and Evan's Wedding!!

Sunday:  Out with Hilary and John while Ben is at home with Grandma.  I'll make some tomato basil soup in the crockpot for them to have for dinner.

Monday: Family day in Seattle with Hil, John and Violet.  Planning to throw together a picnic lunch at Pike Place and then spending some time on a sailboat in the afternoon.  Perfect.  If the kids aren't passed out yet, I would imagine we will have dinner out.  If they are dunzo, we will grab take out on the way home. (Read: Quesaritos).

Tuesday: Summer Gazpacho with Shrimp - my friend Shauna posted this recipe somewhere and it looked like the perfect thing for a hot summer night.

Wednesday: Hilary, John and Violet are coming to hang out and spend the night.  We are thinking of mahi mahi fish tacos with chipolte cream and I am going to make Lemon Bar Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches for dessert.



Thursday: Crave crave CRAVING this chili.  Oh how I wish I could enjoy it on a cold, Fall evening with a glass bottle of red.  But instead I'll have it with a cold beer, I guess.  And made with ground sirloin, not turkey.

Layered Chili (from the cookbook, Kitchen Revelry)

3T chili powder
2T ground cumin
1/2t dried red chili flakes
1/4 cup EVOO
3 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped seeded green bell peppers
6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced - (or if you are like me, buy an enormous jar of minced garlic from Costco and forget about mincing your own.  1t = 1 garlic clove)
2 lbs ground turkey meat (or ground beef)
1T dried oregano
1T cocoa powder or 1 ounce dark chocolate, chopped
1 12 ounce bottle lager beer
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
2 15.5 ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Mix the chili powder, cumin and chili flakes in a small bowl.  Heat a heavy large nonstick pot over med-high heat.  Add the chili powder mixture to the pot and stir for 30 seconds to 1 minute until fragrant.

Add the oil to the pot, then the onions, bell peppers, and garlic and saute until beginning to soften (about 5 min).  Add the meat and saute until no longer pink (about 5 min).  Add the oregano, then the tomato paste, salt and cocoa powder; stir 1 min.  Add the beer and simmer 5 min.  Add the diced tomatoes and the beans.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to med-low and simmer slightly covered until the flavors develop, (about 30 min).

Friday: Leftover chili

Saturday: Another wedding!

Sunday: Grilled Flank steak with corn, tomato and asparagus salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment