Tuesday, March 6, 2018

HAMILTON with Ben!


Since I first heard the sound track back in September 2015, Hamilton  has been a BIG part of my life.  I'm scared to think about how many times I've listened to it, (and on that subject, also scared to tally up how many hours and dollars have been spent on it - but HEY, it's a passion so back off). Since I spend a lot of time with Ben in the car, he too became a big fan of Hamilton.  He knows so many of the songs by heart and we have talked at length about the history behind the musical.  

It has reminded me of when I was little and my dad and I would listen to Phantom of the Opera together.  I have a distinct memory of being at a client of my dads when he had his woodworking business and we were listening to it while he worked there.  It was then that I became a big fan of musicals.  My parents took me to see Phantom when I was young and I remember just sobbing in the audience.  So overwhelming and magical!

Hamilton has brought me SO much joy over the past few years and has led to some of my best days!  Seeing the original cast in New York with Greg is still playing on the highlight reel of my life in my head.  Going to see the first tour cast in San Fransisco with my mom (who I've fully converted into a Hamilfan) was amazing!  Going on a trip last October to LA to see it with friends was one of my favorite weekends also!

Now that the second tour has launched in Seattle, I was able to see it again with my mom due to us being season ticket holders!

Last week, I was talking about the show with a friend who had recently seen it, and Ben said to me "Mom, will you take me to meet the Schuyler sisters"?  I looked at him and said, "REALLY???" and then explained exactly what the show would be like:

"Ben - it's really long.  It's loud.  You canNOT ask me 'how much longer'.  I will NOT take you to the bathroom in the middle of it.  It has some sad parts".  But then I proceeded to convince him by telling how how amazing and funny and special it is and how I would be thrilled to take him!  He was in - and I promptly bought us tickets.  (For some reason, Ticketmaster has released box office seats that aren't completely ridiculous in price (at least compared to what some of the resale ticket prices have been).

On Sunday, we went to the matinee and I was thrilled to see how many other kids were there!

During the show, Ben was at times RIVETED.  He laughed so hard at the King's performance and sang along when prompted.  He asked great questions during intermission.  He reenacted the duel scene when we got home.  

It was such a special day for me, and now that my entire family has seen it with me, it marks the last time (in the foreseeable future,  anyway.....unless my mom wants to go to Puerto Rico next January) that I'll be seeing the show.




No comments:

Post a Comment