Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Growing Up Too Fast

A LOT happened over the weekend.  My brain is having a hard time even processing it all.  So much so, in fact, that I'm considering part of it just a "weekend trial"....  I'll explain:

Over the past few weeks, Ben has started working "I try", and "I do it", and "by myself" into his vocabulary.  His interest in being a "big boy" has grown a lot.

On Friday, as I was cleaning Ben's room, I noticed that the front of his crib was quite dirty - finger prints and such.  Rather than clean it, it suddenly occurred to me that it might be time to take a leap and transition him to a "toddler bed" by removing the front.  I hadn't been thinking about doing this any time soon, but on a whim, I whipped out an Allen Wrench and went for it.  I also, to be cautious, put a door knob lock on the inside of his room in case he decided to get up and wander around in the middle of the night.

We were pleased when Ben stayed in his bed ALL NIGHT LONG.  He did great during his nap the following day.


On Saturday night, Ben suddenly pointed to his diaper and said, "I poop"....(he hadn't).  I asked if he wanted to go sit on the potty, and he said yes.  We went into the bathroom, he insisted on taking his own jammies off ("I DO IT"), and then proceeded to sit on his little potty and pee.  !!!!!  This was a first, and it was so awesome.  I credit this book for inspiring him, because for a few weeks he has been quoting pages from it.  He (and we) were SO proud!


And although I am incredibly proud of my little guy, each time I walked past the crib over the weekend, or even thought about it, I felt a little tightening in my chest.  It is funny how some things hit harder than others.  I suppose I just hadn't thought it all the way through, and after it was done, I realize that I wasn't ready.  On Monday evening, I put the crib back together.  Don't ask me why.  I could rationalize it 100 different ways, but I'll leave it at I wasn't prepared for it to happen yet.

And through this, I've realized that my number 1 parenting issue is going to be not wanting to let go: of the baby stage, of my crazy toddler, of my little boy.  Parenting is hard in general, but this is the hardest part for me.

SO, we (me, with a massive amount of moral support from Greg), will be giving Ben his "toddler bed" back in the upcoming months.  The good news is that he has always LOVED his crib.  And at least I know he can handle a big boy bed pretty well - much better than his mama can :)

No comments:

Post a Comment