Monday, June 16, 2014

RIP, binky


We said goodbye to our beloved friend last night.  YES, the argument could certainly be made that this should have happened a long time ago - but to that, I say WHATEVER.  This beautiful, plastic creation has been a source of comfort to my little guy and resulted in daily 3+ hour naps and wonderful nights of sleep for a very long time :)

As with nursing, and then the bottle, while I knew the end was coming, it ended with a quick in-the-moment decision and I'm not looking back - no matter how tough it might be.

The reason I decided to just rip the band aid off (so to speak) was twofold:

1) Ben already was not going down for the night well for some unknown reason.  He sat up chanting "I want mama and dada's bed" 50+ times in a row (no exaggeration) and required us to go in and get him 3 separate times over the course of an hour or so.  We already weren't sleeping, so why not just do it now.

2) His binky was so chewed up that I was starting to fear it was becoming a choking hazard.  Once that occurred to me, I had to get rid of it.

I'm pretty sure we have never seen him cry as hard as he did last night, but eventually he fell asleep with us and I managed to transfer him back to his bed.  Nap time wasn't quite as bad today, but he refused to lay down and go to sleep for about an hour.

Soon, I know it will be a distant memory.

Milestones.  Ugh.

***UPDATE on 6/17***

Ben went to bed last night with zero problems. No asking for the binky, no arguing about wanting to sleep in our bed, no muss/no fuss.  We read three books and followed our normal bed time routine and that was it.  I'm a little shocked and beyond proud of him (and completely relieved).

No comments:

Post a Comment