Friday, May 9, 2014

Meal Planning: Week of May 12th

Review from last week:

The Chicken Tortilla soup was great as usual.  I always forget that the recipe as written is makes such a huge batch - we had it for dinner 2 nights and lunch a few times.  And it was great to have w/ a margarita on Cinco de Mayo!



The Spaghetti and Meatballs from Blue Apron was simple and tasty.  Ben really liked this one, too.  There is something about making Spaghetti and Meatballs from scratch that makes me feel like a legit mom.



The shrimp and quinoa "fried rice" was one of my favorite Blue Apron dishes so far!  So filling and full of flavor.



And the chicken and black bean enchiladas with salsa verde sauce was very tasty.  Much more flavorful than the enchiladas I typically make with canned sauce.



To celebrate Mother's Day with my mom, we took another PCC Cooking class!  This time, the focus was Spanish cuisine and we learned how to make Paella!  Yum!  These classes are so much fun, and I learned SO much.  Simple little tips like:


  • The "right" way to cut an onion
  • That the smaller you dice an onion or garlic, the more potent it will be in your dish - i.e. leaving garlic cloves whole will leave just a hint of flavor vs. overpowering a dish.
  • How you should never cook with Olive Oil above a medium heat on the stove - anything requiring a hotter burner should be cooked with a different, "high-heat" oil.
  • The difference between Paprika and Smoked Paprika.  All this time I have been using regular Paprika in recipes that call for smoked and I'm telling you, it makes a serious difference.


Marinated olives in lemon zest and thyme:


Roasted crispy chickpeas with smoked paprika:


Roasted tomato and pepper salad with anchovies and mozzarella:


Spanish Paella:


Almond cake:


I'm not kidding when I say that I will be having a Spanish dinner party with this exact menu sometime this summer.  Yum.

Plan for next week:

Friday: Leftovers or something from our freezer.  We made a Costco run on Sunday, so we are stocked with chicken, meatballs, cod, halibut and fresh vegetables to roast or grill.

Saturday: Lemon Chicken with Artichoke Hearts (we never made it last week)

Sunday: I've requested grilled flank steak ("turf") and some sort of "surf" for my Mother's Day dinner :)  

Monday: Cod chipolte and sauteed vegetables.

Tuesday: Blue Apron Meal: Blackened Drum over Cheddar Cheese Grits with Sorrel, Parsley and & Chive Salad

Wednesday: Blue Apron Meal: Black Lentil Soup with Smoked Sea Salt & Sour Cream

Thursday: Blue Apron Meal: Roasted Sweet Potato & Caramelized Onion Pizza with Creamy Bechamel, Fontina Cheese & Arugula Salad

1 comment:

  1. I'm patting myself on the back right now - I actually knew that fact about olive oil and high heat. Excited to hear how your veggie BA meals taste! They sounded so good. We're getting all the meat ones, of course. haha

    ReplyDelete