Thursday, May 26, 2011

2012: How Ben will Spend His Days

As I may have mentioned before, the question about what to do with little Ben when it's time for me to return to work has been something that I have struggled with for some time.  I have always known that I would be a working mom.  For one, I love my job and the people I work with.  I have been with my company for over six years now and have done so much growing since I have been here - both personally and professionally.  Secondly, our benefits are WAY too good to walk away from, especially with a new addition to the family.  And while I am positive that if it were important for me to be a SAHM that Greg would do everything in his power to work around the clock to make that happen for us, it is not how either of us picture our lives.  And third, I am the type of person who WILL need adult interaction, (and probably some baby-free moments) on a regular basis.  I know it is not the right choice for every mom, but for us - I think Ben and I will both be happier if I continue to work outside the home. 

With that being said, the thought of leaving him all week and spending 40 hours away from him during his first year of life is difficult to say the least - and I have not even met or bonded with him yet!  (Although, I have to say - his little kicks are becoming a daily reminder that he IS there and that he WILL be part of our lives soon) :)

Since before I got pregnant, I had considered all of the different options that might be available to me.  I had wondered how flexible my boss would be with my schedule.  The truth is, about 90% of my day is spent working on my computer, in our online database, answering emails, generating reports, putting together contracts, coordinating events, etc.  While I was/am very confident that I would be able to accomplish work from home, I wasn't sure if that was a desirable option for my company - and the last thing I want to be is an inconvenience to my coworkers.

After a few discussions with the best boss ever, (and no, I don't think he reads this so I'm not sucking up), he has agreed to allow me to work from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  This will start on a trial basis - he of course wants to be sure that I am still easily accessible, getting my work done, not checking out to just be mom (and be paid for it), and assuming it all goes well will continue until the end of next year.  We both agree that once Ben is walking and talking it will become less and less manageable for me to both watch him AND get work done.

My mom is going to start working 4 days a week (starting in September - YAY!) and will be coming over to watch Ben on Mondays.  We are both excited that they will be spending a day each week together.  Hopefully some of her awesome grand parenting will make up for the fact that I will be clueless about what to do for awhile...

And on Wednesdays and Fridays, Ben will be spending time at *a daycare center right down the street from my office!  (*I'm thinking that posting where might be a little too stalker friendly...)  I was absolutely thrilled to learn that there will be 4 infants total, all starting in January, and that they will all be born within weeks of one another!  Ben already has a little posse of homies forming.

My friend Steph pointed out that we truly will have the best of ALL worlds in this situation, and I have to agree with her!  Ben will have a few days with me, a day being spoiled by his grandma, and a couple days of "social interaction" - learning from an early age that the world is not all about him ;)  I mean, of course OUR world will be all about Ben, but I do like the fact that he will be around other kids learning to share, how to interact with peers and other adults, etc.

So that is my very LONG update.  I have to say, I am so thrilled with the outcome and how it has all worked out.  One more thing to check off the never ending list...

2 comments:

  1. Yay, this is awesome! I agree that Ben (and you guys) will be getting the best of all worlds this way. Glad you found a solution that works for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this plan, so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete