Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Favorite Things

One of my favorite things to do is to try new products or foods, check out new restaurants, read new books or magazines, take Ben new places, etc.  And when I get recommendations from friends or family, it makes me even more excited to try things as I have a personal review that all but guarantees I will like it, too!

I thought it would be fun to put together some of my current favorite things in the hopes that my other blogger friends might do the same :)

So, here is my (somewhat random) list of things I'm into these days:

Favorite Magazine(s): After moving (and slightly before we purchased our home), I got somewhat obsessed with home improvement magazines (and TV shows, for that matter).  It was probably because when I didn't have the space (or desire) to decorate or entertain much, I avoided this type of reading material.  Now, I'm making up for lost time!  My favorites are Better Homes and Gardens and HGTV Magazine.  Instead of adding clutter to my life (and in the process, saving a few trees), I subscribe to the iPad/tablet editions only.  It is cheaper than the paper copy subscription, and I can easily download them each month! It also seems to provide extras - like links to videos, as well as links straight to where you can buy specific items you see.  InStyle Magazine is now my distant 3rd favorite :)



Favorite Cleaning Product: As part of a house-warming present, my friend Maureen got me a bottle of Mrs. Meyer's clean day counter top spray.  It is my new cleaning obsession. While they are all good, my favorite scent is Geranium.  It makes the whole kitchen smell amazing!



Favorite Soup: My mom turned me on to this brand - and now Pacific Organic soup is my new favorite thing to have for lunch.  The Roasted Garlic Mushroom Lentil Soup is something I now crave every day.



Favorite Perfume: I tend to select a perfume and then wear it for YEARS.  Back in middle school (or early high school), it was Tommy Girl.  I then graduated to Clinique "Happy".  I then moved on to Ralph Lauren "Romance".  About 5 years ago, I discovered Chanel "Mademoiselle" and I haven't looked back since. 

 
Favorite Podcast: Maybe I'm alone in this, but I used to listen to Loveline All.The.Time. back in the day.  I even used to tape it (on cassette tape) and listen to it on my walkman.  I always thought Adam Carolla was hilarious and thought Dr. Drew had so much insight and common sense.  Anyway, I subscribe to the Adam Carolla podcast, and recently, he and Dr. Drew teamed up and created "The Adam and Dr. Drew Show" podcast.  These days, I rarely drive anywhere without listening to one of these, and I even got Greg hooked on it too.  Also download worthy, This American Life.
 
 
Favorite Baby WashEpisencial Playful Wash.  I feel like I've tried so many on Ben, but this has been my favorite by far.  It lathers up easily, smells great, and doubles as a shampoo/body wash.
 
Favorite Place to Shop: DUH - Amazon.com.  Aside from shopping for clothes, which could probably be a blog post all on its own, Amazon is where it's at.  Seriously, if you don't have an Amazon Prime membership, you are missing out on one of life's greatest conveniences.  $79/year gets you free 2 day shipping on nearly everything you would ever want to buy, a free kindle book to borrow each month, and unlimited streaming on all prime eligible movies/tv shows.  We buy all of our diapers, diaper bag refills, a lot of our baby foods (fruit purees, snacks, etc.), KIND bars in bulk, batteries, books, almost everything I need for Ben, (the list goes on) from here.  I also think I did 95% of my Christmas and Easter shopping online, which in my mind is priceless for busy peeps!
 
 
Favorite Skin Care Products: Hands down, Dermalogica.  I love their Special Cleansing Gel to wash my face and their Active Moist moisturizer.  And used with a Clarasonic makes the products work even better :)
 
  
Favorite Beverage: Aside from something alcoholic, La Croix sparkling water in the Peach-Pear flavor is my favorite thing right now.
 
 
Favorite Candle: My mother in law turned me on to the Bath and Body Works 3-Wick candles.  She instructed me to ONLY buy them when they are on sale (2 for $20) and informed me that they often provide free shipping :)  I LOVE having a candle burning in the house, and these really are the best.  My favorite right now is the "Spring" candle.  I also love "Leaves", which my MIL loves, too.  (It's a Fall exclusive).  I also learned on another blog how to re purpose them once they are finished burning - and I now store all of my make-up brushes in one and Ben's tooth brush and tooth paste in another.

 
 
Favorite Place to Buy (Cheap) Art: www.gallerydirect.com - When we moved, I suddenly found myself with large, blank walls to fill.  I cannot even remember how I came across this website in the first place, but I have bought 3 canvas paintings from them and love them all!  The cool thing about the website is that you can choose from thousands of pieces of art, and then choose what type of frame, matting, or canvas you would like - in addition to the size you want! 
 
I think that will conclude this edition of my favorite things, but as I discover new favorites, I'll be sure to share in the future. 
 
So, what are YOUR favorite things?



3 comments:

  1. We wear the same perfume and I didn't even know it! Ha. I love it. Maybe I should switch my HGTV Mag to my iPad and I think I want to try your face wash recommendation.

    This post is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is freakin hilarious (the perfume).

      Agreed, fun post. :)

      Delete
    2. Ran out of our favorite perfume this week (after 3.5 years) and couldn't remember what it was called exactly -- threw the bottle out like a fool before I reordered it -- buuuut luckily, I have an amazing BFF with a blog who documents this things for me. Putting in an order for some Coco Chanel "Mademoiselle"!

      Delete