Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

After a long week, one that Ben was sick during most of, it was SO nice to have a long weekend with not much planned.  And I'm not sure WHAT got into Greg, but he was ALL ABOUT taking care of business this weekend.

On Friday afternoon, Ben and I made a trip to Target to pick up some extra pillows, blankets and a lamp for the spare bedroom for when Greg's family comes to visit us next month.  Have I mentioned that Greg's mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew will be here to visit us - all at the same time?  We are going to have a VERY full house, but it is going to be so much fun for us all to be together - and I know that Ben will absolutely love all of the extra attention he will get from his family.

After I taught yoga on Saturday morning, Greg went for a FOUR MILE RUN. (!?!?)  When he returned, he mowed the lawn while Ben and I went grocery shopping, and then grilled the most delicious filet's that evening for dinner.  We also bought Ben a climbing toy/slide for the back yard.  I never thought I would want to have a big plastic toy in my yard, but guess what?  Kids LOVE big plastic toys to climb on, and as a parent you pretty much do whatever will make them happy :)


On Sunday, we went out for breakfast, and when we returned Greg cleaned the gutters while I did some weeding and cleaned all of the windows (inside AND out)!  I also went through my closet(s) and helped Greg go through his to get rid of 3 large garbage bags of clothes to donate.  Today, Greg took both of our cars in for oil changes and then Ben and I vacuumed and cleaned the interior of the cars.  Tonight, Lisa and Evan are coming over for dinner - a great cap to a surprisingly productive weekend!

Oh, and I should mention the book I'm reading now - called The Happiness Project.  My mom recommended it to me, and I have to say, as a person that seems to gravitate towards self-help reading (not sure why...), this is a really interesting and fun read.  This woman (the author) decides that while she has a great and happy life, she thinks that she can become happier - so she focuses on one area of her life each month (while continuing on with her resolutions from all of the months prior) to determine if she can increase her happiness even more.  My explanation of it sounds pretty lame, but I'm finding it kind of motivating.  I happen to know how much focusing on the positive aspect of things (rather than dwelling on the negative) can change your perspective, which will change how you feel, which will change your situation/relationships/whatever - but even knowing that, it can sometimes be hard to execute when you are a person that can also get kind of stuck on the annoying things that happen each day (which I also sometimes find myself doing).  Anyway, it's worth a read :) 

The rest of the weekend has been dedicated to staying in pajamas as much as possible, renting movies, reading, cleaning, snuggling, playing and looking out the window at the gloomy, rainy weather.







No comments:

Post a Comment