Is it just me, or are beets making a comeback lately? I have been into beets for the past two years or so. It all started when our friends Charisse and Brad had us over for a gourmet dinner (cooked by Brad) with a beet salad as one of the courses. Ever since then, I have ordered them every chance I get when dining out.
Yesterday, I FINALLY took the time to figure out how to cook them myself! Below is a recipe for the super simple, yet delicious (IMHO) salad I threw together.
Spinach, Goat Cheese and Beet Salad
1. Wash and peel (like a potato) your desired number of beets.
2. Toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper, and then wrap them individually and tightly in foil.
3. Bake them for 50-60 minutes at 375 degrees.
4. Slice the beets into bite sized pieces
5. Toss with baby spinach leaves, crumbled goat cheese, and potentially crushed and/or toasted almonds or walnuts.
6. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.