Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Craving of the week: Beets


Is it just me, or are beets making a comeback lately?  I have been into beets for the past two years or so.  It all started when our friends Charisse and Brad had us over for a gourmet dinner (cooked by Brad) with a beet salad as one of the courses.  Ever since then, I have ordered them every chance I get when dining out.  

Yesterday, I FINALLY took the time to figure out how to cook them myself!  Below is a recipe for the super simple, yet delicious (IMHO) salad I threw together.

Spinach, Goat Cheese and Beet Salad

1.  Wash and peel (like a potato) your desired number of beets. 
2.  Toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper, and then wrap them individually and tightly in foil.
3.  Bake them for 50-60 minutes at 375 degrees.
4.  Slice the beets into bite sized pieces
5.  Toss with baby spinach leaves, crumbled goat cheese, and potentially crushed and/or toasted almonds or walnuts.
6.  Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment