Friday, July 8, 2011

30 Week Prenatal Appointment

2 weeks ago, I saw a different doctor in the practice as mine was out on vacation.  Today, I got to meet with Dr. Hollister again - who I love - and things still are looking great!  She has commented a few times now about how nice it is to see someone with such an easy pregnancy - and I tell her that I am VERY happy to be the one to show it to her :)

The highlights:

  • 30 weeks along
  • 21 pounds gained.  It's funny, because mine and her calculations are off by 3 pounds.  She is measuring me from my weight last September when I had my last annual check up, and I am measuring from my weight in January - apparently I had put on a few holiday lbs ;)  But my official pregnancy weight gain IS 21 pounds.
  • Ben is HEAD DOWN - good job Ben!  She said that he could move still over the next few weeks, but that it would be a very noticeable (to me) somersault to get him out of this position. 
  • I'm measuring right where I'm supposed to be (whatever that means)
  • We discussed the fact that Greg and I have decided to not participate in child birth classes.  We went back and forth on the matter a few times, but eventually we sort of want to enjoy these last few weeks and not add another obligation to our already busy schedules.  She said that she was totally fine with that, and was happy to hear that I have been reading up on the subject.  I also am very lucky to have had several friends who have had babies, some of them very recently, who have shared their experiences.  We will not be going into this experience without a general idea of what to expect.
  • She asked if Greg will want to cut the cord, to which I responded, "oh God, no".  Then I realized that I don't think he and I have discussed this?  My assumption is no, but shoot - he can cut it if he wants.  She said she will ask again at the birth - no rush to decide.
  • We discussed my birth plan.  I would sum it up as "very loose" (I've since been told this may be a poor choice of words....let's change that to "very go-with-the-flow") and "highly medicated".  She seemed to like the fact that I was really going into this trusting her opinion on what needs to be done without a specific and detailed idea of what I think "should" happen.
  • She asked if we want to have him circumcised, which we do, and said she would be doing that before we are discharged from the hospital - apparently about 8 hours after his birth.  Rough day for Ben!
  • We talked about breastfeeding a little, which I plan to do (or attempt).  I'm reading a book on the subject in efforts to prepare myself ahead of time.
I think that about covers it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment